Friday, February 16, 2007

Jerusalem syndrome?

Okay, so I came across this GI again and this time he's in an even worse state. He even put GI on his seat! Starts spouting off again....

'Saigon... shit; I'm still only in Saigon... Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle. When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle. I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer; every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around, the walls moved in a little tighter.'

Tells me he's heading up river to kill this guy Kurtz (aka Pasquale), a madman who's run completely amok. So, I says to the guy, 'mate, you're in Bangkok okay? Easy bro! How many times have you seen Apocalypse Now?'

He says about 300 times because he had worked in the television industry before he became an assassin. I reckon he has some sort of Jerusalem syndrome effect going on here. So anyway, I wished him good luck and gave him a packet of cashew nuts for the journey up river. Told him if he see's this Kurtz Pasquale guy to say big 'hello' from me.

The horror, the horror, the horror.....

The syndrome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_syndrome

No comments: